Monday, May 13, 2013

DAY TWENTY!

I have some lingering questions about Paleo and I forget to ask the coaches @ Vertias because I'm usually too busy trying not to die (just kidding...mostly).  But here they are:

Why can't you eat cheese?  It's animal bi-product and full of good things (I think).

Is the cholesterol in the meat an issue?

Do many people experience heartburn with Paleo?  I had heartburn the other day and hopefully it was a fluke caused by some spicy seasoning, but I'm still wondering.

Do you have to portion meats? 

Could it be that Paleo works just because we're limiting what we're able to eat and not because it's really the best way to eat?  (Thanks, Sus for this question)  I definitely feel like I have fewer options and Paleolithic foods takes more time to cook/prep so therefore I eat less.

Should you go totally Paleo if you're pregnant or breastfeeding?

Do calories count or is it really more about the content of the foods you're eating?

But overall this makes sense to me.  I haven't lost a ton of weight but I think that if this is truly "normal" eating and I'm exercising enough that the results will come if I'm patient.  It took quite a bit of time to gain weight so I imagine that if you're doing it right, it can take some time to get rid of it as well.

I also know that if I love a food, it's probably bad.  The Kristin food pyramid goes something like this from bottom to top:

Tons of sugar and candy and coke.
Lots of breads and starches.
Hunks of cheese.
Some meats.
A bit of fruit.
Limited veggies.

This pyramid has not been working for me so well.  So I figure if I reverse this pyramid I'll be doing myself a favor:

Tons of veggies.
More fruit.
Meat as a dietary staple.
Minimize dairy.
Cut out most starches and carbs with the exception of some whole grains occasionally.
Eliminate sugar and candy and cokes except on truly special occasions.

This pretty much reflects the principles of Paleo and I think it could be a good change for me.  I guess we'll see.




No comments:

Post a Comment