Paleo.
Over the last two months I've progressively transitioned my diet to become completely Paleo. Caveman diet. At this point I'm completely Paleo. Well...95% Paleo. Sometimes I have protein shakes and today I had some hummus which is technically not Paleo. But I'm not going to nitpick myself when my diet has improved so drastically (finally). Two months ago I thought it was pronounced "Pa-lay-o" (ha ha), so I've come a long way. :)
Paleo is intriguing and sometimes confusing.
So much of what Paleo says goes against what I've always thought I knew...
- Meat should be the base of our diets.
-Red meat is not bad for you, it's the way we (the human race) ate for millions of years, up until the last couple thousand years, which is a blip on the radar. We are carnivores.
- Grains turn to sugar and we should limit or eliminate grains from our diet.
- Sugar is addictive. (I knew it was good but I didn't understand that my body could become dependent on it until I realized it was getting easier around day 9 of my 30 day challenge).
-Soy and peanuts are from the devil. (I paraphrase)
It all sort of makes sense to me but then at the same time my preconceived ideas of what foods are healthy are conflicting with what I think I thought I knew.
Bad foods: Cholesterol. Fat. Heart Disease + High Blood Pressure = Red Meat. Less meat, more whole grains.
Good foods: Low fat. Reduced fat. Sugar free. No sugar added. Yogurt. Cheese & milk for calcium.
I've lost 5 pounds since I committed to Paleo completely. Is it because I have less food options to choose from? Is it because Paleo really works? I'd love to say that Paleo is awesome and the greatest thing ever but it all depends on how this goes long term. I don't want to get all pumped just to fizzle a few weeks or even months down the road.
But for now I only have positive things to say. I've lost weight pretty much for the first time since I had Tillman, I don't feel hungry, it takes more work and preparation but I feel like I still have options and variety, with discipline I think I could do this long term because I'm not starving or constantly obsessing like I have on other diets.
So for now, we wait. I'll do my very best to be consistent with this.
Because there is no plan B.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment