Saturday, February 12, 2011

Things You Shouldn't Have to Live Without

When I first started this journey I said, "Give me a pack of white onesies and some diapers and we'll be set."

Though a breastfeeding mama could technically survive with only those essentials, I wouldn't advise it!

So I thought I would sit down a write a list for expectant mamas. Because if they're anything like me half of the items on the Babies R Us list may as well be written in a foreign language!

I will skip over the blatantly obvious things: crib, diapers, bottles, changing table, clothes...duh. And we will move right along to the can't-live-without items and would-have-never-thought-of-that items and last but not least the why-the-heck-didn't-I-invent-that items.

I know it is overwhelming and it seems like a lot of stuff and it is, but I would say be safe rather than sorry. Because the thing you think you will never use ends up being your best friend for a couple of months.

Swing - They love the movement and it's a great place for babies to catnap during the day. Also a great place to stick them while you're trying to shower. T lived in his swing for the first couple months of life.

Bouncer - Great when you need to have a minute with your hands free. Even a mama has to pee and take showers occasionally! Stick him in the bouncer for a few minutes. If they're little bitty and can't bounce themselves yet, flip the vibration switch!

Jumper - Love love love it! Use the jumper that clamps on to the door frame and let them jump away. Jump jump jump! One of T's first words to mimic. We stuck him in it as soon as his feet hit the ground and he's loved it ever since. Priceless.

Boppy - A u-shaped pillow that goes around your waist. Essential for nursing. Buy several covers to go over it, the covers will see lots of spit up and yellow poop over the first few months. Bring it to the hospital with you unless you want a two day bicep workout!

WubbaNub - A Soothie pacifier with a lovey stuffed animal attached to the end of it. Babies love the texture of the stuffed animal while they're getting their paci fix.

Soothie - A blue rubbery pacifier that is used for newborns. It's supposed to best represent a nipple and help reduce nipple confusion. Turner took a pacifier as a newborn and it kept me from nursing 24/7!

Breathable Bumper Pad - Our Ped said not to use a traditional bumper pad because it's a danger. But when I went into Turner's room and his arms and legs were dangling out of the crib I almost had a panic attack. Solution? Send husband to the store that night to pick up a breathable bumper. Even mama slept like a baby after we got the breathable bumper in place!

Video Monitor - Love love love this! So many moms end up waking up their kid or keeping them from being able to fall asleep when they hear a peep and open the door to the nursery. With the video monitor I can see that Turner is okay even if he's crying a little bit. Without the video monitor your mind could wonder and get the best of you. With the flip of a switch I can see T and know that he's okay. Love it. Spend the money and invest in a portable video monitor with a high quality picture and high quality sound.

Kneeling Pad for Bath Time - I still don't have one of these and I remind myself to buy one every night! For a few years you will be giving your little one(s) a bath and the easiest way to save your back is to kneel on the floor beside the tub. They sell ugly blue bulky ones but Target has cute little ones they sell as well.

Breast Pump - Also an item you should spend the money on and make the investment! Medela is the the way to go. I use a Medela because it was the most highly recommended. Get the hands free and the portable backpack or at least smallest and most compact pump you can find. This is not a place to cut corners!

Nursing Bra- To save yourself embarrassment in public and to make things easy be sure to buy a nursing bra. I haven't been there myself, but I've heard that "A Woman's Work" is the best place to shop for pumping and nursing related items.

Lansinoh Gel Pads - Nursing can be quite painful the first couple of weeks. Bring the Lansinoh get pads with you to the hospital and have a pair waiting when you get home. The cool gel pads can relieve the pain and heat related to early nursing days. They are washable and resuable so you only need a couple of pairs.

Lansinoh Disposable Pads - Keep these on hands for a few weeks or even a couple of months after having your baby. They absorb milk until you have control over your supply. They will keep you from worrying in public and may save you some embarrassment. Definitely use them at night since that's when your supply is replenishing itself so you'll be especially full first thing in the morning and more likely to leak at that time.

That covers most of my must-have items...I hope this helps when you're registering!

No comments:

Post a Comment