Over the past few months I've had the privilege of donating over 300 ounces of breast milk to The Milk Bank at Austin. When Turner was a few weeks old I started pumping once a day in order to keep my supply up and in order to store milk for when I was at work. I realized that I could pump an extra 10 ounces each morning and before I knew it my freezer was stuffed full to the brim with bags of milk! What to do with all of this precious milk? It's like liquid gold, I worked really hard for it, and I couldn't stand the idea of throwing any of it away. So I started researching my options for donation and I found The Milk Bank at Austin.
http://www.milkbank.org/
After an initial question and answer session, blood work (all paid for by the milk bank), requesting information from my doctor and Turner's, I was approved to donate. The screening process took a little bit more time and effort than I expected, it took a bit of persistence. But it makes me grateful that they are so careful in screening donors and donated milk. It was well worth the wait!
A few things you need to know if you're considering donating milk:
- This is a gift that very few people are able to give. It feels like a privilege to be able to save the lives of preemies!
- It is counter-intuitive, but when you demand extra milk it actually helps you to produce more milk and increases your overall milk supply!
- The milk that is donated is not given directly to the preemies in need. It is processed and pasteurized in Austin before it goes back out to the hospitals.
- There are many many convenient drop-off locations. I made my drop offs right in Sugar Land at St. Luke's. It was very convenient. The milk freezer is stored in the same room where the newborns receive care. Turner, Troy and I would sometimes make a trip to the hospital to see all of the nurses and sweet little newborns, it is very special. And the Lactation Consultant would usually give Turner a free Milk Bank t-shirt or Milk Bank bag to take home with him.
- The milk containers are provided to you by the milk bank. Though you're not compensated for the milk donations they do cover any costs associated with donating so that you as the donor do not incur any costs.
- Though preemies have first dibs on donated milk, if there is a surplus of milk other babies are welcome to it for a fee. Milk is available for mothers who cannot produce milk, have medical conflicts or who have adopted. So milk is never wasted!

Hey everybody (in my best muscle man voice)...milk makes me have strong bones, a smart brain and big muscles. Umm...which way's the weight room? Alright, I'll check it out. Oh by the way, I'm sellin' tickets to the gun show if you're interested.
I am also a Sugar Land mom and donor. This is my second baby to donate with and it has been such a blessing.
ReplyDeleteWith our current 7 week old baby, we experienced the preemie world first hand. He was 6 weeks early and in the NICU at Texas Children's. I cannot express how much the babies need human milk.
From one mom to another, thank you.
Hi Jillian-
ReplyDeleteThanks for reading! How did you hear about my blog post if you don't mind me asking?
Donating is one of the coolest things I've ever been able to do and it was an incredible experience. I want other women to know that donating is a possibility and hope to get the word out there to anyone who's interested!
Thanks,
Kristin
Potato-
ReplyDeleteThis is so wonderful! Thank you for sharing. I had no idea something like this existed.
I will definitely keep it in mind with baby number 2!
Lindsey
Your Mom sent me the info regarding the Milk Bank and Turner's picture. How awesome. What a great testimony Turner will have about sharing his Mom and her abundance with others.Wish I would have checked into that when I was nursing back in the olden days. I had sooooooo much milk and my babies were healthy(fat as toads) so this would have been an excellent option. I remember how sad I was when I had to throw milk away!
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to see you guys for the wedding. Jo Ellen aka teeny