Today I felt like a babysitter in a Beverly Clearly book. The battery on my cell phone died when my best friend Susan called. After the ordeal with the infection she has been fighting I so badly wanted to talk to her! So I rushed home, got my phone plugged in, and sat Turner on the floor of the kitchen while I talked (good news from Sus by the way, we ended up both crying on the phone but we had a great talk and she seems to be in great spirits).
He pulled out every single pot, pan and cookie sheet in our kitchen. He then discovered the cabinet I keep all of our party stuff in: napkins, place mats, plastic wear and plastic punch cups. But he was happy tearing up the kitchen and playing independently so we rolled with it and I got to catch up with Susan!
I ended the call with Sus after about an hour only to notice that Turner was munching on a plastic cup. As you often hear me say....oooops. I quickly grabbed the cup from him, assessed the damage and noticed the plastic shards he'd bitten off were no where to be found. Yep, pretty sure he ate them. But he seemed fine. So we went on playing. A few minutes later he got another cup and I got it away from him in 2.4 seconds. But not before he got a bite out of it! So I swept out his mouth, got a chunk, he gagged on another chunk and then I swept that out. Aughhhhh.....such a good mom.
So we got past the eating shards of plastic incident and you will be happy to know that all plastic cups have been thrown away or put up higher.
He started to climb the shelves of the pantry like a monkey and when I pulled him down I had a sense (or scent) that it was time for a diaper change. So we headed for the dreaded changing table. I whipped off his onsie only to find that he had a blowout that traveled up his back almost to his neck. Somehow there were dry cracker crumbs on his back and in his diaper from the church nursery in the mix too, not quite sure how that happened. Oh gross. Between last week's whole corn and today's whole scrambled eggs and black beans, he could have made a southwestern omelet. Okay, sorry!!! But it was way worse experiencing it in person. Not knowing what to do I just wiped him down and stuck him in the bathtub, this was a job no baby wipe could handle!
I get him quarantined to the bathroom and as we're waiting for the water to warm up he turns to me as he's peeing all over the floor. He looks at me like he's really proud of himself and pees some more...at least he was impressed. Then once I finally get the water warm and get him in the tub he swan dives out of the bath (yeah, didn't know he could do that) and belly flops in a flying squirrel position onto the tile floor and slides across the slick surface. He wasn't sure if he was going to laugh or cry, but he went with a laugh. We got him back in the tub and all cleaned off...nasty!
But we made it through it to the long awaited nap time and now mommy's unwinding and generating some energy so we can start again when he wakes up!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment