Sunday, December 5, 2010

Pudding

I'll write this post while my heart's still melting. I just put Turner down for the night. Normally I read him a book in his chair, put him down in his crib and walk out, then he goes to sleep for the night.

Tonight I let him read his colors book on the floor and he had a blast flipping through the pages. But he got pretty worked up playing with his book so when I got ready to go put him down he was still pretty worked up.

So I held him as we walked around the room getting it set for bedtime. I always say, "Turn out the lights...close the closet...close the blinds...close the curtains...and we walk through the routine together so that he can wind down. But I could tell that he was especially upset because he didn't have a chance to really wind down.

So I said my usual, put him down in his crib and I rubbed his back for a little while. Normally he's not super touchy or snuggly and he NEVER sits still. But tonight he laid there while I rubbed his back. And I told him how good he was today. I said, "You are such a good boy, you did so good today. We had so much fun at church, you let all of the girls pass you around and carry you around. And then we went to Jake's birthday party tonight and we had so much fun. You were such a happy boy."

I knew he was enjoying it because he was laying there very still, but I wasn't sure he was getting it or really appreciating it. But then when I stopped for a minute I could hear him breathing happily and he was smiling and laughing a little bit. So I kept talking for a few minutes while I rubbed his back and we were both soaking up the moment.

Then I told him I loved him and to have sweet dreams. Then I walked out and he fell right to sleep. But ohhhh...my heart is still pudding!

No comments:

Post a Comment