This is a blog to myself for the next baby, when I'm starting over, completely lost again and I need some direction. When I'm wondering what I'm working towards. Wondering when we're we going to settle down into a routine. So here are some tips and reminders for future me:
If at all avoidable, NEVER nurse a baby to sleep. They have to learn early on how to get themselves to sleep. EASY...Eat...Activity...Sleep...You (time for self). The genius of The Baby Whisperer. We still follow this routine to a certain extent. Turner is amazing at getting himself to sleep at nap time and night time, and therefore he can put himself back to sleep when he occasionally wakes up in the middle of the night.
There was no transition or trauma with him going into his own bed and getting to sleep. From day one we put him down to sleep with his eyes open and awake in his own bassinet and then a couple of months later he was in his own crib doing the same. With the monitor to my ear I sat on pins and needles waiting for him to cry it out his first night in his crib. But within minutes he was asleep after very little or no crying. Ahhhh.
Lots of tummy time, even though it feels like you're torturing them it's really good for them. Think of it as exercise time that wears them out and helps them to sleep later.
Have them sleep during the day in the living room out in the light in a swing or while holding them. Then at night time they go to their room and even the little tinies learn the difference between night and day.
From the beginning start with a routine, whatever that might mean for you. Now at 9 months old Turner automatically knows that when I close the curtains it's time for sleep.
Have a separate room for play. We only use Turner's nursery for changing diapers, changing clothes and for sleeping. We play in the game room only for the most part. It's kind of sad, but as soon as we start heading toward his room he knows it's either a change or a nap and he fusses a little, he knows we mean business! But since we've set up a routine he knows what our expectations are and his fussing is short lived because he knows that once he gets a nap out of the way he gets to play as soon as he wakes up!
Schedule you start working toward from day 1:
8am - Wake Up
8am - Nurse
9am - Breakfast
10am - Nap
11:30 - Wake Up
11:30 - Nurse
12:30 - Lunch
3pm - Nap
4:30 - Wake Up
6pm - Supper
7pm - Bath
7:30 - Book
7:45 - Nurse
8pm - Night Night Time
We reached this schedule and true sleeping through the night from 8pm-8am with no feedings at around the 6 month mark.
I'm definitely NOT implying that we did things perfectly or that this applies to every baby! But if the next kid's as easy as Turner we should be fine as long as we follow some of these guidelines. It's not always easy and there's a lot of guess work involved, but it's well worth having these little bundles of joy who grow up so quickly!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am so proud of you! The routine is certainly the way to go! This worked like a charm with both of our boys and even if you have a kid that is not so easy, this will make it easier! All kids need routine.
ReplyDeleteLove you girl!
That's what I'm so afraid of - the next one NOT being as easy as the first one! We have both been blessed with such wonderful, laid back little guys that I'm almost afraid to have another one that won't be so perfect. Haha.
ReplyDelete