I now fully understand why women sometimes let themselves go. We set our priorities and in the beginning we are on top. Workout. Eat right. Get enough sleep. Focus on taking care of ourselves.
Last night I had getting a full 8 hours of sleep in one hand and folding the mountain of clothes piled on the dining room table so that Troy would stop pouting in the other hand. Which do I choose? It's easier just to fold the stupid clothes even if I don't really care what my house looks like at this point. Because ultimately it will have to be done at some point. Apparently Troy has a problem with me using the dining room as my personal closet. Frankly, I don't see the problem, it's a great system!
Anyway, we set our priorities and slowly but surely we fall to the bottom of our own agendas. I can see this happening but there's nothing that I can do about it. I have a husband to keep happy, a baby to take care of, a house to maintain, a full time job to go to, numerous church events, baby showers to host, wedding showers to plan, a family reunion to attend, and I DON'T know how to say no. I don't even WANT to say no, I love going non-stop. But something's gotta give. Yeah...me! A little sleep here, the two hours I should have to myself in the evenings, planning healthy meals, rowing, my waistline, my sanity....you get the point.
I now understand why my mom was wearing her 80's one-piece jumpsuits with puff sleeves in 1995! It wasn't because she couldn't afford new clothes. It was because she never had time to herself to go shopping for new clothes! I got a gift card for Old Navy and I'm excited to spend it, but I don't see that happening any time in the near future. Any shopping beyond the weekly trip to Kroger (whooo hoo) is a luxury.My point? I can't give 100% of myself to all of the things I need to do. I can't give 100% to my family and give them my best. I can't give 100% of myself to my career like I used to. And I certainly can't give 100% to myself.
So my options are to quit my job and be poor, move to Norway or Germany (seriously tempting), rob a bank, win the lottery, or just continue giving half of my heart to all of the things that are so important to me...including myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment