Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Getting Thinner

It stinks when the only thing getting thinner post-preg is my HAIR! It's one of those things that people warned me about but I refused to believe was going to happen (i.e. stretch marks, hormonal swings, swelling, loss of sleep, etc.). But the last few days that I have washed my hair I have found quite a few strands between my fingers. I managed to ignore that for a day or two but then I was brushing my hair yesterday and aside from finding quite a bit of hair in my brush, I also could see my bright white scalp undeniably shining through the little hair that WAS left (may be being a bit dramatic, just a bit).

So I referenced the most reliable medical source I know....Google.

You may already know this but I didn't know all of the details of why your hair feels thicker when you're pregnant. But normally 5-15% of your hair is in a resting state, after the resting state it falls out. When you're pregnant less of your hair goes into a resting state and therefore less falls out. So you essentially have more strands of hair at one time. Then when your hormone levels balance out again soon after giving birth your hair begins to fall out again as usual. But it is more noticeable for women who have longer hair.

But... if you're anything like me you panic, quickly assume you're going bald, and begin formulating a plan for buying Rogaine for Women without your husband noticing.

No comments:

Post a Comment