Saturday, June 26, 2010

First Injury Sustained

Last week Troy was off all week with Turner and I don't the specifics of what went on. But I do know that Turner is now saying "da-da" a lot and at 16 weeks old he is CRAWLING! I knew he could do a military crawl from one side of his blanket to the other. But short of being able to push up completely on his arms, he is doing a full crawl.

Part of me wants to celebrate my child's advances and part of me is scared to death of the fact that my 4 month old is mobile!

So this morning I went to get breakfast and put Turner on his quilt on the floor in the living room. He was as happy as a lark after a long night of sleeping soundly from 8:30-8 with a 5am feeding. He was talking to himself and rolling from side to side. And then all of the sudden he was crying. He's really not a crier unless he's just exhausted or hurting, so I raced over to see what had happened.

No...Gus (our 7 year old puppy...and technically our first-born) hadn't tried to eat him as a snack, though I did catch him trying to steel a toy from Turner just now. He slowly walked over there and gently put his mouth around the toy. If he could have whistled he would have been whistling to show that he's innocent, he wasn't up to no-good. I made a big production about how it was not his toy and he gave me such an innocent look. He knew what he did was wrong and he hung his head in shame. Hopefully, he learned his lesson, though doubtful.

Focus Kristin...back to my story! So Turner had crawled all the way over from the far edge of the rug to the coffee table (a good 6 feet away) and in his attempt to eat it (let's hope it contains a non-toxic varnish) he knocked his eye on the edge of one of the legs. Poor baby! He was not happy, but his mommy rushed over and scooped him up and gave him one million nine hundred kisses. And though it annoys me when other moms apologize to their kids all the time when they're whining about not getting what they wanted, I told him that I was sorry for letting him bump his eye. There was a little cut on the corner of his eye and I'm sure he'll have a black eye by tomorrow morning. He already had one scratch and bruise on his other eye a few days ago. The nursery workers at church are going to think that he's abused (except that we have known them all our whole lives)!

So...first official injury and the first of many I'm sure! But we survived it, and as much as I hate to see my child hurt I know that he's tough and we all have to feel pain sometimes. It's how we're built.

No comments:

Post a Comment