Thursday, March 1, 2012

Things I Want to Remember...

How when Turner talks about his trains named "Harry & Burt" he calls them "Harry & Burps".  One of my favorites!

How every night he asks for "Whole World Hands" before bedtime.  I'd like to think it's because I'm a great singer or because if his knowledge of God's control in our lives.  But...I'm pretty sure it's just because I sing "HE'S GOT YOU AND ME TURNER IN HIS HANDS...HE'S GOT YOU AND ME TURNER IN HIS HANDS...HE'S GOT YOU AND ME TURNER IN HIS HANDS...HE'S GOT THE WHOLE WORLD IN HIS HANDS...and he likes hearing his name in a song...the same reason he asks me to sing Rock-a-Bye baby...because down will come Turner cradle and all.  ;)

I might want to forget this one, but it's still funny and will get funnier with time.  When I get him dressed in the morning and ready for bed he asks for "Neked Diapews (aka Naked Diapers).  He would always prefer to run around naked with a diaper on than ever have to put an ounce of clothing on. 

I asked Turner if he wanted to go to church to see Abby, Ms. Lynette and Ms. Bitsey and he said, "Yeah, I want to go see all of the gouls (girls)."  He JUST had his 2nd birthday and he's already talking about girls!  Oy vei! 

When I asked him if Abby was his girlfriend he said "no".  I asked him who his girlfriend was then.  He looked embarrassed and answered "Aunt Shannon".  It was so sweet.  I asked him if he gives her kisses and he said "ROAR".  I guess that's the way he shows his love...like a dinosaur. 

After dinner and bath time, we brush Turner's teeth (typically not without a fight) and we all go in to his room together.  I read Turner's "Ible" stories while Troy and Turner wrestle typically.  Why I keep reading, I don't know.  But we read a bible story and then sing two songs.  He usually asks for "Whole World Hands" or "Tula-lu-la-lu-la (aka Tura Lura Lura)".  My dad sang that song to us all growing up and now Turner loves the song.  Most nights I can't help but think how funny it is that the song says "my mother sang this song to me, in tones so soft and low" because dad always sang it and mom couldn't carry a tune in a bucket (you know I love you, mama).  But it means so much to me to be able to pass that song on to Turner.  I hope one day he can pass it on to his babies and maybe generations to come. 

Then we say a prayer and he says "Aaaamen" at the end. 

Finally I stand at his door and tell him "Night night, mommy's right here outside your door.  I love you.  I pray your sleep is sweet.  Sweet dreams." 

I know I'm a sucker because he fake whines for a minute, I open the door to tell him "Shhhh.  Go night night." and most nights he laughs at me.  I tell him "You're just playin' me!" and he laughs.  Then he drifts off to sleep for 12 hours...such a good boy and such a good sleeper!  One of my favorite times of the day to spend as a family...these are moments I pray I will never take for granted and that I know I will always cherish.

2 comments:

  1. It's a well known fact that dinosaurs are very loving creatures: http://mediacdn.snorgtees.com/media/catalog/product/r/a/rawr_fullpic_army_1.jpg

    ReplyDelete