Sunday, February 26, 2012

Dad's Journal Entry

The below "blog" came to life before blogging ever existed.  It is a journal entry from my dad that he wrote after a golf outing he took us on in 1988.  I was 4 years old and Shan was 6.  It's so sweet and I had to post it on my blog so that I could have it forever.  It brought tears to both mine and Shan's eyes when we read it.  

I reminded dad that he will always have time in our schedule for a dad date.  I also reminded him that he will have his grandboys to go with him for many years to come and one of them might actually want to pick up a golf club!

"Golf outing from a journal page 3-13-1988
 
I took Shannon and Kristin out to Quail Valley golf course this Sunday afternoon (Glenna enjoyed her alone time)..... when we arrived the weather was pleasant. I played 9 holes and they had a great time running up and down the hills. They discovered the  ball washers. After that, they would not pass a hole without finding a muddy ball and washing it. They would race each other to the flag and want to tend it while I putted.  The weather turned cold on the 9th hole and they were shivering as we raced in the golf car to the club house. Shannon was trying to be brave, but Kristin was hovered at the bottom of the golf car, as her teeth clattered.   
 
I'm sure that in my retirement years I will be out on the course lining up my tee shot and for a moment I will glance over to the ball washer and see them taking turns. I will see them running over the hill to catch up to the golf car. I will probably have a tear in my eye as I will walk towards the flag and long to  see both of them holding on to the flag stick.
I will finish the round as a cold breeze brings in a norther. I will look down in the golf car and fondly remember that ride to the club house. Some how I will no longer feel the chill in the air. I will look down at the floor of the golf car and see them huddled under my golf bag cover.
I will always remember this day and they will always be my 6 and 4 year old little golf helpers."
 
 

1 comment: