Thursday, March 8, 2012

Waiting Waiting Waiting (Again)

Living in a time where induction 2-3 weeks before a woman's due date is the norm, it is hard to go past your due date and not begin to psych yourself out a little bit.  You just never meet a woman who says she's at or past her due date, it just doesn't happen anymore.  So when people see me still zipping around town, still in our normal routine and still giant as a house, they are shocked.  "Still no baby?"  "You're still pregnant?!"

I was super sensitive to these comments when I was pregnant with Turner, but now I display my giant-past-my-due-date-belly with such pride.  THIS is normal.  And while it's hard to watch all of the pregnant women around me who were due weeks after me having their babies, I know that I'm giving baby Tillman the best chance I can to be healthy and thriving.

In the final weeks and days before birth, baby's lungs and brain are developing.  My hormones are being perfectly regulated, my body is producing colostrum and getting ready to produce milk, I am being prepared mentally and emotionally to have a baby and it's only in God's time that he will come.  It's not based on the convenience of my OB, the hospital, my schedule, it's left up to a Higher Power.  I choose to give Him control of every other aspect of my life, so why not this?

Admittedly it is difficult to wait and the what-ifs start creeping in.  What if something happens to Tillman in the meantime?  What will labor be like, quick and fierce or slow and easy?  Plus, I am ready to meet this baby!  Who are you?  What do you look like?  Who do you look like?  Whose nose do you have?  Whose eyes do you have?  Whose personality do you have?  Will you be a baldy like the rest of us?  But I strongly believe that this is all a part of pregnancy and becoming prepared to have a baby.  And so....I will WAIT! 

I will enjoy my 8 hours of sleep each night.  After all, this time I'm smart enough to know that I'm going to worry about him whether he's in my belly or in his bassinet, so I may as well have him tucked away in my womb where he's QUIET.  ;)

1 comment:

  1. A little part of me dies inside every time one of my friends gets induced. So encouraged to hear you're waiting it out peacefully knowing that this is the way it is supposed to be with no need to panic because Tillman will come when he and God are good and ready. I know you're anxious with excitement for him to finally arrive, please know that in the meantime, your strength in choosing to wait and let it all happen is so very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete