Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Two Words: STINK-YYYY

This blog leans more to the "mucus plug" side of the pregnancy than the "baby love" side. Again, no one ever warned me about this one....

Last night I had my monthly checkup with my midwives. I was a little bit worked up because I knew that I had to drink this sugary stuff and then have my blood drawn. Plus, driving through the med center in the afternoon is never exactly a calming experience. And I'm sure that most women go to their checkups alone and it's not a big deal, but this would be my first appointment without Troy being there, so I was a little tense.

Well, my loving husband showed up to surprise me and I was immediately more relaxed and at ease. It was very sweet of him to come, I know it wasn't easy for him to pay an extra $7 for us to both park our cars in the garage ;)

But we went through the whole routine. I drank the sugary stuff, had my check up. Baby's heart rate was good, mom's blood pressure was normal and I was measuring right on track!

We headed down the hall to have my blood drawn and Troy wrinkles up his nose and looks at me funny. He said, "I think you stink." And then I assured him that he was probably smelling his own end-of-the-day stink drafting upward (hey, it happens!).

But then I realized that it WAS me! The tiny panic attack I had to follow probably didn't help the stink-factor. I quickly realized that I had probably just blown away the poor midwife when I raised my arms to take measurements!

I JUDGE stinky people I walk by in the malls. I LAUGH at Troy when his pits stink so badly that I can't rest my head on his chest. Or when he's just come back from a bike ride and even GUS can't stand to catch a whiff of his stench.

I could always live without deodorant but chose to wear it because it's the social norm. I wore a shirt two or three times before I had to wash it. And I pitied (no pun intended) Troy because he has to take his work shirts to the cleaner every time he wears them.

I am now SERIOUSLY doubting my decision to switch to Tom's natural deodorant! So what if the aluminum in anti-perspirants has been linked to Alzheimer's and certain types of cancer and the affects on a fetus are unknown??? It just may be worth the risk in order to avoid being a complete social outcast!

Well...I should have know that since pregnancy has wreaked havoc on every other part of my body, that it would affect me all the way up to my pits.

But I guess..."this too shall pass".

1 comment:

  1. I can relate! For a couple years, I have been searching for deoderant that doesn't contain aluminum (I've even tried Michael's Old Spice). I have failed to find a good, natural deoderant for women that doesn't make me stinky and sticky. Nothing works as well as Secret. :( It's a bummer. Let me know if you find something.

    ReplyDelete