I left about a minute behind him. I pulled out of the garage and as I do most mornings, was entertaining the idea of taking the day off. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my job, but a day off here and there would be nice. So, I sucked it up and pulled out of the driveway and headed to work.
I had the top down on the Jeep Wednesday because it has been such a b-e-a-utiful week. But the chances of me hearing my cell phone ring are slim to none. I just happened to reach down into my purse and feel my phone vibrate. It's Troy. "Hey, oh, are you on your way out of the house? There's been a little accident. I'm going to have to go home before work to change my pants. Man! My orange juice spilled all over my pants and the car."
I was a stop sign and one stop light behind him and I put the petal to the metal, racing down Reading Road! I got to the "scene" and jumped out of the Wrangler and saw Troy standing there, the woman who hit him was sitting in someone else's car crying on her cell phone. I grabbed him, hugged him, and made sure that he was in one piece.
The "little" accident totaled our car and triggered every single airbag in her Escalade. The whole front end of Troy's brand new Sontata was sagging to the ground, the engine curled up around the carburetor, which was sitting on top of the catalytic converter, and wrapped around the rotary girder (for you Tommy Boy fanatics)...the point being that it was not a pretty scene.
But fortunately everyone walked away in one piece and it wasn't Troy's fault. They lady driving the Escalade was turning into the Kroger parking lot and the van next to Troy (Troy was going at a good pace in the right hand lane, the left hand lane was at a full stop in traffic to go over the bridge on 59) had waved the woman on and hadn't seen Troy coming up in the right hand lane. Bam!
I think we can now all join together in saying, "Poor Troy!".
I went home to get the camera to take some pics. I brought his new digital video camera that also takes stills so that we could get all of the necessary shots in case we need to submit them to insurance.
When I got back there was a fire truck, ambulance and cop cars, all with flashing lights. I'm glad I got there initially when the scene was still pretty calm. I don't think that 6 1/2 months preggers mixes very well with driving up to an accident that her husband was involved in with red and blue lights flashing as far as the eye can see.
I think the seriousness of the accident had finally set in because the first thing I heard from Troy when I got back was a lecture. "See?! This is why you should be driving this car instead of me! You would have been taken away on a stretcher if you had been hit in your Jeep! Those doors would crumple like aluminum foil. And there are far too few airbags." Yes, he gets into a accident and I somehow get chewed out...go figure. But since we're down to one car for a while, I still get to drive my Jeep...for now!
He was quickly back to his old self again as he was shooting a video and reenacted the whole scene (complete with sound effects), interviewed me and taped some of the cops who were on the scene. We also captured them hoisting the two vehicles up on to the tow trucks and hauling his lifeless Sonata Limited (the car that he has wished was a truck for so long...that in his words he was JUST starting to love) away to motor vehicle heaven. I thought it would be easier on him than telling him that it was going to a junk yard to rust away for the next 700 years....
No comments:
Post a Comment