The term 'sausage fest' derives from our college days when the guys would show up to a party and there were more guys than girls. While it may be a smidge inappropriate, I cannot think of a better title for this blog post. It describes my awesome-crazy-busy-messy life perfectly!
So around this time in pregnancy comes a surge of hormones that I guess are just a necessary evil. Troy would probably refer to them as the crazy-bipolar-irrational-fear mongering 7 month hormones. Call them what you wish, I don't feel like I have much control. I've been better about recognizing what is logical and what is strictly hormonal with this pregnancy. Not that I think my feelings are any less real, or that I don't deserve to express them, just that I keep in mind that I sound like a crazy person when I'm talking to Troy and I try to stay calm.
So this rant stems from legitimate feelings and from a place that is overly sensitive and cannot be appeased by anyone.
I often read rants from pregnant women about all of the horrible things that people say to pregnant women. In fact, I wrote a similar post around this time in my pregnancy with Turner (I think the line, "MIND YOUR BEESWAX" jumps to mind). But now that I see other people writing complains about those people, it really bugs me. These people have good intentions and are just trying to give women special attention during a very significant time in their lives and don't really understand that saying, "Wow! YOU'RE HUGE!" can be hurtful at a time when she's already feeling self-conscious about weight gain. But for the most part people are trying to be kind and complimentary and it's annoying to hear pregnant women whine that too many people have touched her belly.
Long story longer, I only have ONE complaint about things that people have said to me during this pregnancy. Everything else is well-received. Maybe it's due in part to the fact that most women haven't had 3 kids and can't continuously dish their advice on me. But for the most part I think it's that I've been able to switch my mindset. I've recognized that I won't be pregnant forever, I won't get that special attention forever, and that people are just trying to be nice and caring.
The ONE exception to that is when I tell people that I'm having a third boy. :)
One woman threw her hands up and actually said, "WHY GOD?!"
Most people just say, "Oh wow. You're going to have your hands full."
OR
"Get ready!"
People who actually think about what they are saying before they speak say, "Oh that's great! You were born to be a 'boy mom'."
OR
"Awwww they're going to be the best of friends. It's awesome to have all brothers!"
That's always nice and exactly how I feel and exactly what I want people to say.
It's just very strange to me that people assume I was desperately trying for a girl. I just want a big family, and if that family consists of three boys...great. If it consisted of three girls....great. I just want noise and chaos and it doesn't matter to me that much if that's with daughters or sons.
The ultimate annoyance is when people say, "Ohhhh you need to have a daughter! Ohhhh you need to experience that connection between a mother and a daughter!" WTF?! I have incredible connections with my boys, why are you trying to take that away from me with your words?!
Why do women who have girls try to make boy moms feel like crap that they don't have boys and why do women who have boys make girl moms feel like they did something wrong by not having boys? Freaking weird.
The ultrasound tech that we saw last said that people talk about coming in for their gender ultrasound and she corrects them and says that they're having an anatomy scan. We forget that the priority is having healthy children. Dear God, please let my children be healthy! Finding out the gender is simply the icing on the cake called parenthood.
I also find it strange that no one acts disappointed when someone has 2 boys or 2 girls, but as soon as you announce that you're having your third boy or your third girl they look at you like you should throw the third kid back like a freaking catfish.
Why can't you be excited for me that I was able to get pregnant when so many women can't?! Why can't you be excited that I'm excited about my third son and that I'm certainly NOT mourning the loss of prom dress shopping, wedding dress shopping?! In fact, those things make me sweat just thinking about them.
So, does part of me wonder what the relationship with a daughter would be?...What it would be like to take care of a little girl and buy little funky 80s inspired girl outfits?...What Troy would be like with a daughter?...YES.
But am I far more excited about the relationship that I'll have with 3 sons?...That I'll always be the princess of the house?...That I gave Troy the son(s) he asked for? That if there's something pink in the laundry pile that I'll immediately know it's mine?...That I'll be attending a lot of baseball games?...That my boys already are and always will be the best of buddies?...That we're going to have a heck of a lot of fun?...YESSSS!
So be happy with me and be happy for us, because we cannot wait for the arrival of Truett Law!!!
**Disclaimer: I think this is the first mention of my third pregnancy on my blog. It's not that I've neglected my pregnancy, I've just neglected my poor blog lately! Most of my announcements and excitement has been expressed on Facebook instead.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment