Wednesday, March 31, 2010

6 Week Checkup

I had my 6 week checkup last week and everything looked great according to my midwife! I am cleared for take-off. I can't wait to get back into rowing and get back out on the water. I also started Weight Watchers last week as well, it's time to get those last 15-20 lbs off!

Here's a pic of our incredible midwife with us shortly after we had Turner...in case you're curious.

On a sidenote (and this may just be the "4am" talking), I so appreciated my experience with natural childbirth, I have been casually throwing around the idea of becoming a doula. A doula is defined as being a mother to the mother. They are a support person during and/or after labor. While the medical aspect of being a doctor does not appeal to me, I would love to be able to be a part of other women's experiences and be a tool for them to achieve their own natural childbirth or even just be a support during a medicated vaginal delivery. A doula is there to explain that everything the mother is feeing is normal, rub her back, suggest different positions to get comfortable and to help the spouse through the delivery as well. What an incredible priviledge to be able to be a part of someone else's labor & delivery experience!

I would also like to teach Bradley classes. After researcing on my own, I realized there are very few opportunities for women to become educated about natural childbirth or childbirth in general. As a majority of women have medicated labors or scheduled c-sections there may not be a great demand for these services. But I know that there are people out there who are interested. And my hunch (and my experience trying to find classes) tells me that as many women are choosing to have c-sections because they believe it is the "safer" route, there are just as many women who would prefer to let nature take it's course and have a natural delivery. I would not be there to discourage anyone's ideas or to judge others for their decisions, but I would be there as a resource to women who are seeking more information and want to be educated before embarking on their journeys to becoming mommies.

Now I guess the only question is...can you make a living doing this or is it something that I could do WHILE raising a family and working a full-time job??? All good things to think about....

No comments:

Post a Comment