I posted a blog last night at 2am that was titled "Top 10 List"...it was the top 10 things you should not say to a pregnant woman (that I guess I will be keeping to myself, at least for now). It was supposed be funny with a touch of sarcasm. But I guess it ended up coming across as mostly bitter with a touch of humor (to some people...others not so much (a.k.a. my mom and my husband did not appreciate it). Mom said it was just plain rude and Troy said that it was "a slap in the face to everyone who loves and cares about me and just wants to express their concern". That WAS NOT my intention at all! The people I was referencing don't even read my blog!
Part of me thinks that I started this blog so that I could write about my pregnancy in an uninhibited and uncensored way. It was mainly for myself to remember what I was feeling in each stage of pregnancy. But I would never want to express my opinion if it was going to be at the expense of someone else's feelings.
To be honest, I'm just scared to death of what's to come. The way my pregnancy will unfold. When I will go into labor. If I will go into labor on my own. The pain of labor. Whether or not I will be able to make it through a natural childbirth. The prospect of having to have a c-section. Not being able to nurse my baby. Not sleeping a full 8 hours again for who knows how long.
And it's easier to take it out on the people around me and to place my anxieties on them than to sit down and actually face the fears of labor, delivery and motherhood. It's my coping mechanism.
I have always found it easier to laugh something off than to really deal with it. Sometimes that is a blessing and sometimes it's a curse. I set out with this pregnancy to be the toughest pregnant lady ever. I wasn't going to complain. I wasn't going to show any weakness. I wasn't going to depend on anyone else to help me. Being pregnant was not going to slow me down! I would not be affected by hormonal changes or physical changes that came with pregnancy. I wasn't going to cry at Kodak commercials or especially emotional episodes of A Baby Story. And if I did cry, I CERTAINLY was not going to let anyone see!
So instead of admitting my fears, it was easier to blame my mood and my anxiety on those around me. The people who ask me how I'm feeling and want to give advice and share their experiences with me.
I found a scripture on the Facebook profile of someone I went to high school with. It is Proverbs 31:25. "She is clothed with strength and dignity, she can laugh at the days to come." THIS is what I was going for, and I may have missed the mark, but I wanted to show other women that be strong and dignified even with the crazy changes that take place during pregnancy. Woman don't have to act like fragile little porcelin dolls. We don't have to whine about being uncomfortable and fat and how we need back rubs and foot rubs everyday. I wanted to prove that with the right mindset this can be a relatively easy process. Piece of cake! But it's not a piece of cake! It's emotionally exhausting. Waiting for birth day. Waiting to meet your baby. And it is a little bit uncomfortable in the last two weeks. Hoisting myself out of bed every 5 minutes to pee. Acid relflux. Weight gain. False labor and contractions. Did I mention WAITING?!
So maybe I can be clothed with strength and dignity, laugh at the days to come, but also not be afraid to show people what I'm feeling. I'm tired of waiting! I'm anxious! I have a million things going through my head at one time. And sometimes I feel like crying!
And if I'm being completely honest.....
I worry that Turner will die inside of me before he has a chance to be born.
I worry that Turner will have Downs Syndrome.
I worry that Turner will be Autistic.
I worry that I will have to have a c-section.
I worry that I will bleed to death after delivery.
I worry that God will not take care of us the way I know He has promised He will take care of us.
But people don't want to hear that! So I will stick to my canned answer of "Fine. I'm doing just fine." Because it's the truth. I know that God will take care of us. I know that Turner is going to be okay. When my mind begins to wonder I am always able to come back to the fact that in my heart I know he will be okay. I am SO unbelievably blessed to be able to conceive a child and I am fully aware that not everyone gets that opportunity. So I feel a great responsibility to never take this for granted.
It's a miracle.
But I also know that I can experience this miracle with strength, dignity, a sense of humor, and still accept the fact that it's emotionally and physically taxing. I don't have to be Wonder Woman! Being vulnerable is not a crime, nor is it a weakness.
I'm a work in progress......maybe I will be able to figure this out by the time Turner has graduated from college ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow. I love your post. That was really from the heart. I actually just came upon your blog by accident when I wondered into your FB page this morning to see if you had any baby news. I read your top 10 list and laughed because it reminded me so much of something my sister had written around her due date when she was tired of waiting. I think I know you well enough to know you are not that bitter...but it made me wonder if I had gotten to your last nerve asking you how you were feeling and telling you my birth stories, breastfeeding stories and all the other random miscellaneous opinions I gave! haha. And now I'm going to give you some more of my thoughts, so just deal with it. Hang in there girl! You are doing an amazing thing and that little guy will be ready when he's ready. (remember my cousin that did the natural childbirth at HOME and was 4 weeks past due--it went beautifully and she's SO happy to did it. Her baby's perfectly perfect too!) This is all part of the plan and I promise you, you will eventually have that baby! Try your very hardest to enjoy this extra time off that you have. I know you aren't sleeping well and have aches in places you didn't know existed...this too shall pass. Now, I command you to do something extra special for yourself tomorrow. Get a mani/pedi (budget smudget!), have some caffeine, go to a movie. Be strong! This might be the single most amazing thing you will experience and remember that every second is precious.
ReplyDeleteP.S. keep us posted! Cheerio. Jen Ignat
kris, I have to say I read that blog last night and I thought it was hilarious. it was from your HEART and honest and I don't really think you should be apologetic about posting it. I understand that some people could be offended by it, but I would rather surround myself with people who are truthful (even if sometimes the truth hurts) than people who only dispense niceties (SAT vocab) which make you wonder if they really mean it, or if they're just making the polite comment because that's what's expected. or maybe I'm wrong, whatever. but what you posted last night is why I love you and I can't wait to see Turner!!!!! please have troy call/text me when he's born xoxoxoxoxoxoooooxxxxoxoxoxoxooxox
ReplyDeleteJenny Dulinny
ps, can't wait to see the PLACENTA, seriously it's so gross & weird, and it freaks me out more than anything blood- or surgery-related. do you think there are weird people who take pics of it and put them in the photo album???? hahahaaa
ReplyDeleteHey Kristin,
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to say hello and that I have enjoyed reading your blog! I wanted you to know I will be praying for you the next couple of days that you will be at peace with everything and you will have a smooth labor process! Can't wait to see pictures of Turner! :)
I actually thought the now retracted blog entry was just about right for a first time mom that has passed her due date. You do get tired of all those questions. It is almost like you don't want to ever deliver and are just staying pregnant because you like it so much. I will pray that you gain some peace of mind (deliver soon, which may be the same thing!). Unfortunately the worries keep on coming no matter how old the child.
ReplyDeleteSo I was a little bummed I missed the infamous Top 10... and don't worry, I once wrote a blog in the middle of the night an hour after taking a sleeping pill from the baby's point of view. Let's just say he sounded like one crazy baby and it took half a day before I even remembered I had done it. Good luck getting baby out soon! It is nerve racking, but if it does not all go perfectly as planned you won't care after the first few days, I promise. And your little guy will be perfect!
ReplyDelete