Anyway, the Bradley Method was created around the idea that we should let nature take it's course and that we should interfere as little as possible with modern medicine. We took our first class Wednesday and though I fully expected the atmosphere to be a cross between 80's favorite The Miracle of Life and Woodstock....everyone was pretty normal. These were middle class working professionals and expectant mothers who are just looking for information and a bit of education regarding child birth. I still don't know if I am going to try to avoid an epidural altogether or if I will plan to have one if it is an especially difficult or very long delivery. But at least I know all of my options! Before we joined this class, it felt like the doctor dictates your options to you...induce on your due date...be open to medication...c-section is a last resort (in the sense that I have to be home for dinner..stat!). There is no education, no options, and they provide cures, not preventative methods that help before, during or after labor. This is not specific to my doctor who I personally like a lot....fyi.

Bradley method encourages good nutrition and exercise during pregnancy. This method encourages women to be prepared for labor ahead of time, it is important to do more than just show up for the delivery.
We definitely watched a birthing video that I will never forget. I think I was more squeamish than half of the men in the room...and I made a lot of awkward jokes to make myself feel better. I didn't know that a woman's body could stretch that way....yikes! But ladies...this method encourages the spouse to administer daily back rubs and relaxation sessions that are focused around the mom....something to think about!
Oh...and I think I found my happy medium between a home birth and a medical birth (for lack of a better term). St. Luke's has a program that consists of 4 midwives and 7 doctors. You consult with a midwife during pregnancy and then a midwife delivers your baby IN A HOSPITAL. But you wouldn't see a doctor unless there are complications. But if something does happen, you are immediately in touch with a doctor and you are as close as anyone to an OR.
Good stuff....
Listen Kristin, if you are going to some "natural, lets all love eachother, we only eat organic grass" sort of class and get all your nutrition information from them I am going to be highly upset:) Just thought I would put that out there my dear old friend!
ReplyDeleteLoves ya!
Susan (Your personal RD who actually went to school and is actually registered and licensed which means I know what I'm talking about!)
Kristin:)
ReplyDeleteIt is so nice to read your thought, and congrats to you and Troy. All the Mellings are so happy for you. In norway most of the women are giving birth naturally;)
Tell Troy and your family hi.
Britt Eva