Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Second Doctor's Appointment....

We had our second appointment with Dr. McDonald yesterday. Everything was beautiful! Less than 12 weeks along and you can totally tell that there is an actual baby in there! Weird. Arms and legs were wavin' & wigglin' around like a mad man (or woman). Of course, Troy thought he saw a "boy-part" but it was just wishful thinking as the nurse assured him that it is still just a nub. He said "Is that a....?" and before he could finish his sentence I said "No, it's too early to tell." and the nurse quickly followed up with a "Definitely not." So that was funny.

We discussed birthing plans with the doctor and she pretty much told me to be open to medication when I said that I would like to go naturally. When I explained that my mom carried me 4 weeks past my due date and her side of the family is always at least 2 weeks late, she quickly told me that they would not allow that. She pretty much indicated that they will induce on the due date, so that was a bummer. I really like my doctor and know her personally so I want to stick with her. But I want the option of having a natural birth, being able to walk around, hang out in the bathtub and let gravity help out a little bit. It doesn't seem that this is something that is widely accepted anymore. One of my co-workers told me that 98% of women in this world have their children at home. Only in the US do we view child birth as a medical procedure.

How does everyone react when I say that I want a natural birth? Mostly laughter followed by judgment. Troy would like to do a home birth, but I don't think I would ever think of my house the same again after going through that process at home! Plus, I would be concerned if something happened and we would have to drive to the hospital in distress.

My little audit accounting yuppie truck driving Texan husband (who wants to name his son "Texas") turns out to be a hippy...who knew?!

But where's the happy medium?! The hospitals are so ready to cut the kid out of you to save time and space, they don't even consider letting this process happen the way God intended it anymore! So I can either have some dirty hippy come into my home to assist in the birth process. Or I can go to some bed & breakfast looking birthing center that is creepy and doesn't feel clean. Or I can go to the hospital where the bottom line is money more so than bringing life into this world.

Don't get me wrong, if this is a long hard labor, I am open to an epidural. And if the baby is ever under distress then I would go to a C-Section as a last resort. But can't I at least TRY to have the baby naturally? Is that too much to ask?

My Grandmother breast fed all of her children when it was still viewed as being "taboo". And now it is widely accepted and most everyone agrees that it is best for a baby. I am hoping that we are just forward thinkers and that the trend will go away from "designer births" (scheduling a C-Section for a convenient date and having a tummy tuck the same day). And people will go back to having natural births.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox.....

For the most part, we are so excited and I know that it will all work out in the end, I just like to have options! Don't tell me what I can and can't do! For my sake I HOPE this stubbornness doesn't rub off on the kid....but I will definitely teach him or her that you have to stand up for what you believe in, even when it isn't easy :)

3 comments:

  1. So why won't she go passed the due date? Your request seems like a simple one to satisfy.
    Are you going to have a tummy tuck the same day of delivery? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes darling, I am doing the designer birth....all of us movie starts are doing it. Schedule the c-section for a convenient day and time and follow with a glass of wine and a tummy tuck.

    Not sure why she won't go past the due date. The only thing I can figure is that it is not convenient. I am going to get more info next time I go in to see the doc. Will let you know....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I babysit for the Mcdonalds all the time...I would totally have her as my OB/GYN if I didn't see her so often/watch her kids... :)

    And I think one reason they like to jump so quickly to c-sections, etc. is for legal reasons--in case something goes wrong trying the other way and things don't happen quickly enough...the c-section option is a good way to avoid lawsuits and such...

    ReplyDelete