Sunday, July 19, 2009

From the beginning...

I have never been a blogger in my life, I suppose I have never had anything interesting enough happen to me to blog about it. I am also a big believer that you shouldn't look to the past all the time but to the future and always live in the moment. I am not a good picture taker or journal-er. BUT I recently found out that I am a few weeks pregnant. Now I know that millions of women for millions of years have had millions of babies. And when I think about this process in general it is fairly ordinary. When I think about MYSELF having a baby, it is a completely different story! Maybe this will be a good way for me to wrap my brain around the process and get a better grasp on the fact that I am going to have a baby! Up to this point I have not even been comfortable saying the word "baby". The best I can do is "zygote", "tic tac" or "the kid". For some reason "baby" is a tough one for me. I need a little bit of time.....like maybe 9 months give or take.

I am right at 11 weeks pregnant and we confirmed at 7 weeks that I am pregnant. I had been taking tests each month since I got off the pill in January just to be sure that I was not pregnant. I was not on the pill but we were using an "alternative method" to avoid getting pregnant. (Note to self: Only the pill is 99.99999% effective!) My periods are irregular so there is potential that I could have been pregnant for some time without knowing. So I was about to take a hot bath after an exhausting soccer game and decided that it was about time to take a test. I peed on the stick and did the whole routine and noticed that the first line came up on the opposite side that it was supposed to be according to the picture on the stick. Still unfazed by this I kept going on about my routine and checked back a couple of minutes later. To my surprise....there were two lines the second time. Immediate reaction? An instant smile. Two seconds later? My arms were flailing and I was running around like a mad woman. Troy was on his nightly bike ride, so Gus and I walked down the driveway about 6 times to see if we could spot Troy's bike rounding the corner to our street. He finally came home and for the first time in my life I was speechless. I could only lead him to our bathroom to point out the pregnancy test laying out on the floor. I am sure that he would have preferred that I share this news with him in a creative way. But I found out from the shock of two very unexpected lines....so could he!

I think that deep down we both knew that we would never decide to "start trying" whatever that means. So it was probably best this way that it come as a surprise in God's timing. Part of me feels completely ready for this new adventure and the rest of me feels like I am still 16 years old and feeling sorry for the unfortunate 26 year olds who are so rapidly approaching 30. But I am ready for this....or as ready as you can be. I like to take new things and face them head on, so I am ready to meet this kid and see what he/she looks like!

3 comments:

  1. A great idea -- you truly will forget all the details so blogging will be an excellent way to journal this miracle.

    Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're the only one who can figure out how to become a follwer of my blog....so it might just be me and you :) But many many technology brownie points to you, Gigi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read it and loved it and can't wait to catch up on all of your blogging....love it!!

    ReplyDelete