Tuesday, March 29, 2011

He's Being Too Quiet

As the mom of a rambunctious little boy you know that when your kid is being too quiet that something's not right. Sunday before church I was putting on makeup in our bedroom, Troy was shaving his face, and Turner was moving between our bedroom and our bathroom bouncing from object to object trying to find things to keep himself occupied.

He went on the other side of the bed where we couldn't see him. I noticed after all of twenty seconds that Turner was being quiet and I immediately asked Troy to go find him. "Go get him, he's being too quiet. You had better get him. That can't be good. "

And sure enough he was playing with my phone, which is a BIG no-no. Especially considering the fact that he slobbered my last phone to death.

So tonight after we went for a walk around the neighborhood we came in the backyard to play and wait for daddy to get home. HE was squatting on the other side of the playground quietly and I knew there couldn't be anything good going on if he was sitting still for more than six seconds.

When I called his name he popped up and smiled. He came up to me with a guilty grin and when I try to catch him he runs in the other direction. I caught him just in time to discover the blade of grass in his mouth. I thought to myself that it seemed strange that he would put grass in his mouth now when he hasn't been putting foreign objects in his mouth for months.

So I squeezed his cheeks and made him give up the grass. Below is a standard mouth inspection:

Two minutes later he's on the edge of the patio. He looks up at me and POPS some grass in his mouth. I go after him and he takes off in the opposite direction. I track him down and get the grass out of his mouth. As most moms know, this goes on for quite a while, I guess it got him some good attention.

So he finally came over to me while I was sitting on the bench (typing this blog ironically), he bent down and popped another piece of grass into his mouth. Only when I went to get it out of his mouth I discovered that it wasn't a piece of grass...


...it was the big fat black spider with the red dot on its back that I had killed yesterday for fear that it was poisonous.

When I screamed like a girl and threw it away I made him cry...and I'm the weird one? Even though I'm a tomboy, this being the mom of a boy may take some getting used to after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment