Monday, August 16, 2010

6 Month Milestones

The boy's been mobile for quit some time now as you know. But over the last few weeks he's really perfected a proper crawl. Right left right left. I am relieved that he has this down because some believe the right-left crawling motion is related to a child's reading abilities later in life. That is why parents are encouraged to give their children a lot of floor time. Some children naturally go straight to walking, but it's a good idea to let them crawl first and I'm glad Turner did!

Turner got his two teeth on the bottom. One came about two weeks ago and the other came in about a week after that. No fever. No drama. A little bit of fussiness in the morning for the first one a little bit of fussiness in the afternoon for the next one and DONE! I expected vomiting, fever, diarrhea like I've been reading but it was quite simple really. He's such a trooper!

Some time during that same two week period he started sitting up on his own. Wow.

He had his 6 month "birthday" last Friday and his Pops & Gigi came over to watch his Daddy feed him his first food besides breast milk and the occasional piece of paper his dad let him devour before he could get it out of his mouth. We started with the recommended rice cereal and he LOVED it! For the past week or so every time I eat something he watches it go from my hand to my mouth, he looks right at me and opens his mouth wide like a baby bird. I thought to myself that though I'm sometimes resistant to letting my little tiny baby grow up that he is now ready for some solid food.

I know we are behind everyone else. But it was recommended to me to keep him exclusively on breast milk until he reached 6 months. And since he didn't have any colic, reflux or sleeping issues, we stuck to that plan. Plus nursing is more convenient, just whip out the hooter-hider wherever we are and voila! This week when Troy gets back from his training session in San Jose we will try his first fruit or veggie!

About 5 minutes ago Turner realized that he can pull up to standing in his crib. And now he has to teach himself how to go down for a nap after standing, sitting, and then finally laying down. Why lay down when I can stand or sit up?! Good times (sarcasm)...

On to the ever-cliche conclusion...he is growing up so quickly, it's unbelievable. Some would say that he's getting out of the way for the next one. Oh my!

1 comment:

  1. Listen here lady - BEHIND EVERYONE ELSE?! Are you kidding me! your little genius baby is crawling and standing!!! I think you'll find its pretty rare that 6 mo old babies do that! Our little E is 7 1/2 mo and just now working on the crawl and is wanting to stand but not quite figuring it out. And as for food... you are right on! way to go momma! your little guy is a champ!

    ReplyDelete