Tuesday, September 8, 2009

My Baby Daddy

It may seem that this experience up to now has been all about me. And it is...don't get me wrong! But there is another responsible party involved in this scenario...at least that is how it usually works.

I should have known that these 9 months were going to get interesting when Troy's initial reaction was "How did this happen?!" I was afraid I was going to have to sit him down for a quick anatomy lesson. But after the initial shock wore off, his reaction was "Well, part of me wanted this to happen...." and he was sensitive enough to leave out the rest "....but the other part of me is terrified and SO not ready to be a dad!"

Only weeks later I was getting ready for work and I flipped my hair over to blow dry (you know...it gives you extra volume). Troy almost had a stroke rushing out of the shower to tell me that the blow dryer is WAY too loud and shouldn't be that close to my stomach. AY DIOS MIO! This could be a very long 9 months.

And he says I have been overreacting! Every woman in the US over the last 40 years has used a blow dryer (or worse) everyday of their lives. And do they all have deaf babies? Come on!

Yesterday I offered to mow the yard while he edged, I could tell that he really wasn't into the idea of doing it by himself. But he told me that he didn't need my help. He might have been concerned about me pushing the heavy mower around and putting too much strain on myself. For a split second I assumed that he was worried about his little-princess-angel-delicate flower-sweet wifey getting overheated or overworked. But my illusions of his concern melted away when he explained that the neighbors might see his pregnant wife out carting around the lawn mower! He has a reputation to uphold!

We visited my family this weekend at their lake house in Bridgeport. Other than the fact that I wasn't allowed to tear it up on the jet skis, we had a great time. We got to hang out with family (shout out to my Denton Knights ;) and eat junk food and had no responsibilities for 2 days...my idea of a good time. But I asked my cousin and his wife if they had picked out their baby names yet. Their baby is due 7 weeks after ours and I fully assumed they wouldn't have anything nailed down which would make me feel better. Wrong! They had a girl and boy name picked out complete with middle names!

I am still not "allowed" to discuss names with Troy, even 19 weeks into being preggers. Troy figures we will cut our fighting time in half if we wait until we know if it's a girl or boy. He also assumes that I will have changed my mind 15 times by the time the kid actually gets here (though he may be on to something in both cases). So for now he/she will remain "the kid" or "the tic tac". It works for now.

I have not experienced significant cravings yet (clarification: craving and indulging are two totally different conditions). BUT my baby daddy just about killed us swerving off of Highway 59 the other day @ 4 in the afternoon. He HAD to have a donut right then...my non-sweet eating husband. I almost lost my lunch when he brought a crusty 12-hour old blueberry cake donut smothered in blueberry icing and a glazed donut drizzled in strawberry icing and covered in multi-color sprinkles back to the car.

The following week we took a random trip up to the Nestle Toll House store to get ice cream sandwiched between two snicker doodle cookies. Who is this guy?

Double chocolate chip brownie the size of your head a few days later. Yes, we're still talking about him, although I got to reap the benefits of his hankerin'.

I think there was 2-hour escapade of driving around Richmond looking for a homemade tamale stand somewhere in there too. I think he has finally accepted that these little outings just may be sympathy cravings.

And the icing on the cake-so to speak...last night at the grocery he snuck a tub of Blue Bell blackberry cobbler ice cream into the cart.







2 comments:

  1. Update: Last night we made an 11 o'clock stop at Buckey's to get two white chocolate cookies and an oatmeal cookie. Baby daddy literally skipped out of the sliding glass doors. He was a giddy school girl because he was able to get his cookies that he talked about on the way to birthing class and on the way back home. He couldn't stand it anymore, he had to stop. I love that kid :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, I am still chuckling at your most recent post....I SO SYMPATHIZE.....it's so obvisous that our husbands are related.....some men are sympathic toward the pregnant wifey, while others want to uphold the "appearance" of sympathy :)

    To ease your mind on the whole name thing......we found out with our daughter we were having a girl and it wasn't until she was 3 days old!!! that she finally got a name, so no worries....Jeff's philosophy with both of our children was to "meet" them and get to know their personalities a bit before naming them....of course, how much personality does a kid have at a few hours old, other than sleeping, eating and pooping....but it worked for him :) I, on the other hand, found the name Adalai and LOVED it and "warmed" him up to the name for about 7 months....lol

    Also, I mention to all pregnant women, that THE BEST (most pratical) book I read while I was pregnant and then implemented to a T is called "Secrets of a Baby Whisperer" by Tracy Hogg....A M A Z I N G.....b/c it really worked and both of our kids were sleeping through the night right away....just a thought if you are a reader


    I'm glad you reposted this blog address b/c I forgot to put it in my "favorites" and I was bummed until you posted it again today.....

    hang in there.....it takes men A LOT longer to "get it" ;)

    ReplyDelete