Friday, June 15, 2012

Bonding

I like to rub Tillman's big bald head and I tell him it's for good luck.  We both get a kick out of it and it usually makes him belly laugh. 

Another favorite of ours is that I stick my nose in his mouth and say, "Don't eat my nose!  No, don't eat my nose!  Aughhh!"

You know, I've always heard that with this second baby moms worry that they won't bond with the second one as much as the first, or even that they won't love them as much.  Of course, being the second child, I know this is a myth seeing as how I'm the favorite.  Let's be honest here.  ;)

But before Tillman was born, I knew that I would love him just as much as I love Turner.

And then after he was born, I only worried that I wouldn't be able to bond as well because so much of my focus and attention goes to Turner.  He's 2 and he's in my face and climbing on my head, that boy knows how to get and keep my attention!

But Troy is great, my parents are great, Troy's mom is great, and they all have given me a break at one point or another so that I could focus on Tillman more.  And Turner plays more independently now and has given me one on one time with Tillman.  He loves his brother and does not show signs of jealousy...also a surprise since I've heard some horror stories about jealous toddlers over the years! 

And most importantly, I've done this before, so it all comes more naturally to me this time around.  So I think it all evens out.  With the first one you have to learn how to bond with a baby, with the second one, you have less time for them because you're chasing after the toddler.  But in the end, it comes quicker because you know that you have the confidence to be a good mom and to take care of them well.

I remember telling Turner "I love you" at around three months without even thinking about it.  Before that point I had of course told him I loved him and meant it, but it felt good for it to just pour off my lips without a second thought.  And I had the same experience yesterday where I told Tillman I loved him so much and felt so overwhelmed by that love that I thought I might squeeze him till his eyeballs popped out (don't worry...I restrained myself).  So, while it does take time to get to know our kids, and while we will continue to fall in love with them more and more over the years, it will come.  Remember this, it will come.  That overwhelming love and like will come, you just have to give it time!

No comments:

Post a Comment